Responsible for overseeing all stages in the commercial real estate, new construction and unsecured loan process, from initial underwriting through loan closing. Ensure that all multi-family, commercial, new construction, SFR, and unsecured loans are analyzed, underwritten, and processed in a timely manner while achieving a high level of customer service. Responsibilities primarily focus on underwriting high level commercial real estate loans, new construction loans, and unsecured loans but may include analysis of other loan types including but not limited to complex residential loans.
20% Writing loan narratives which include the analysis of both client financials and a variety of income property including but not limited to:
• Commercial Real Estate (CRE)
• New Construction (including owner-occupied primary and secondary residences, spec homes, condominium developments, mixed-use, multi-family, and CRE)
20% Underwriting various loan products, which includes:
• Analyzing and summarizing appraisals (including CRE), rent rolls, leases, and property cash flow.
• Evaluate operating performance, trends, and risks.
• Forecasting projected sales prices and property cash flow on new construction.
• Analyzing borrower tax returns (business and personal), financial statements, real estate schedules, liquidity positions, financial ratios, recurring sources of cash flow, and client ability to service debt.
10% Effectively manage loans through Construction by liaising between Funds Control, Client and General Contractor through the construction draw process to ensure the bank obtains all necessary paperwork relating to each draw disbursement, including but not limited to invoices, general contractor and subcontractor lien releases, contingency usage and that draws are funded in tolerance of project completion. At completion, work with client and General Contractor (GC) to be sure all permanent conversion conditions are satisfied, including but not limited to, obtaining Certificates of Occupancy, GC final lien releases, lien free completion, and as complete/stabilized underwriting (and necessary financials).
• Obtain and review all construction loan due diligence, including approved plans, specifications, general contractor review (reference checks, credit search, financials), permits, insurance, including appropriate builders risk coverages, general liability and workers compensation limits.
• Monitor and track all construction loans in RM’s portfolio including follow-up to ensure permits, GC licenses, and insurance are current, and that Client’s draws are processed in a timely fashion. Identify and alert the RM and ELC of any project delays and/or construction overruns. Actively participate in construction loan review meetings with ELC and SAC.
• Maintain a contractor database of approved contractors and construction indemnifications.
• Review construction loan pipeline and manage the timely processing of all conversions including conversion to construction phase and conversion to the permanent phase. Assist in all payoffs and partial releases, including analyzing the required minimum release prices for condo units, obtaining ELC approval on releases, and working with the attorney and payoff department for all partial and full payoffs.
5% Collaborate with Relationship Managers (RMs), Executive Loan Committee (ELC), and clients to help determine loan structure, loan amounts, and products. Size and qualify loans for approval and must demonstrate ability to present deals to ELC.
5% Complete KYC Client Onboarding due diligence for all loan types.
5% Print and organize all financial documentation and compile loan files.
• Review loan files for completeness, identify missing documentation, and generate needs list for clients and RMs.
• Communicate directly with clients as needed to obtain missing financial information and answer questions related to loan transactions.
5% Order third party reports and open escrow (when applicable). Work with all third parties to ensure reports and deliverables are completed according to established SLAs.
• Complete property inspections with ELC and appraisers to ensure loans are adequately secured and construction is on track for expected completion. Identify and report to RMs any risks related to loan collateral and/or client financial state.
5% Complete some basic loan processing for new loan originations and construction loan modifications in the PowerLender system.
5% Partner with the Closing/Funding Department to ensure a timely closing. Work with escrow/closing agents to coordinate closings.
5% Update Maturity Report and Assist Loan Monitoring Group with collecting any financial information needed for financial covenants.
5% Work on special projects for RMs as needed.
5% Cross train other team members, when applicable.
5% Perform duties & responsibilities specific to department functions & activities or as assigned by supervisor.
Responsibilities include the following: 1) adhering to and complying with all applicable, federal and state laws, regulations and guidance, including those related to Anti-Money Laundering (i.e. Bank Secrecy Act, USA PATRIOT Act, etc.), 2) adhering to Bank policies and procedures, 3) completing required training, 4) identifying and reporting potential suspicious activity to the BSA/AML Officer, and 5) knowing and verifying the identity of any customer(s) that enters into a relationship with the Bank.
Essential Skills, Bodies of Knowledge and Abilities:
• Must be able to manage a constant deal flow and prioritize loans appropriately to ensure timely closings.
• Proactive individual able to operate efficiently in a fast paced environment.
• Must possess excellent analytical skills, with an emphasis on commercial real estate underwriting and assessing client financial data.
• Quick learner and ability to manage multiple priorities.
• Proven ability to work accurately under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Demonstrated skills in organization and strong attention to detail.
• Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Should possess a strong sense of accountability.
• Provides extraordinary service.
• Furthers the First Republic Bank culture and values.
Products and Software:
• Knowledge of loan origination and related systems.
• Strong working knowledge of MS Word / MS Outlook / MS Visio / MS PowerPoint/ MS Excel.
Education, Experience, Training, or Certifications/Licenses: Required: High School diploma and a minimum of 6-8 years of underwriting experience, notably with multi-family and commercial real estate loan products.
Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree.
• The ability to learn and comprehend basic instructions; understand the meanings of words and respond effectively; and perform basic arithmetic accurately and quickly.
• Vision must be sufficient to read data reports, manuals and computer screens.
• Hearing must be sufficient to understand a conversation at a normal volume, including telephone calls and in person.
• Speech must be coherent to clearly convey or exchange information, including the giving and receiving of assignments and/or directions.
• Position involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
• Must be able to travel as position requires.
• May be required to lift up to 25-50 lbs.