First Republic Investment Management (FRIM) is an RIA with an affiliated BD, First Republic Securities Company, LLC (FRSC) and is a wholly owned subsidiary of First Republic Bank. The Compliance Department provides advice and guidance to our business partners regarding the applicability of rules and regulations, advice on policies, procedures and controls, compliance monitoring and assistance with supervisory reviews in order to ensure compliance with all federal and state securities laws and regulations.
The general purpose of this position is to support the administration, development and execution of the FRIM/FRSC compliance monitoring and surveillance program. This role will focus primarily on the administration of FRIM’s Code of Ethics of which includes the review of employee conduct and personal trading activity.
The ideal candidate will have previous compliance experience in a high-touch/high-client-experience- expectation organization within a registered investment advisor and/or broker-dealer.
This Compliance position will report to the Vice President of Compliance.
• Administrate FRIM’s Code of Ethics by utilizing the Protegent Personal Trading Assistant (PTA) application
• Perform real-time surveillance, data maintenance and review in a fast pace environment
• Investigate potential conflicts of interest and unusual trading activity, trends, and patterns
• Create and refine processes relating to employee conduct monitoring within the PTA application; ensure all PTA rules are aligned to FRIM’s Code of Ethics (COE) requirements
• Ensure proper and effective monitoring is conducted and thoroughly documented
• Identify deficiencies and recommend solutions to complex issues
• Discern risk and influence risk management practices
• Work with compliance, business units, technology, and data management personnel to provide accurate and efficient data with sustainable sources
• Work with senior management and other key constituencies to encourage and promote a culture of compliance
• Assist in creating reports or presentations that clearly articulate the results and conclusions of compliance review activities
• Act as an advisor to business groups, compliance, and legal departments regarding employee and client trading and possible conflicts of interest issues
• Strong understanding of compliance in investment advisory and broker-dealer businesses
• Knowledge of the Investment Advisor Act and working knowledge of FINRA, federal
securities regulations and securities industry practices.
• Solutions oriented and critical thinker with good logical problem solving skills.
• Good team player; able to work well with team members and provide and support where
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with all levels of staff and
management, while establishing strong working relationships with individuals and teams.
• Foster productive and constructive working relationships based on clear
communication, mutual understanding and shared objectives.
• Self-motivated. Ability to work independently, on multiple deadline-orientated tasks in a high
energy environment and deliver assignments on schedule.
• Good organizational and time management skills. Ability to work under pressure and
prioritize based on regulatory/operating risk and business needs.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Economics or other applicable business-related
discipline preferable; however, an additional minimum of 5-10 years of experience with an
advisor or broker-dealer may be considered without required degree.
• Prior experience utilizing personal trading tools/applications, a plus.
• Orientation toward process improvement and the ability to think and work at both strategic and
• Furthers the First Republic Bank culture and values.
• The ability to learn and comprehend basic instructions; understand the meanings of words and
respond effectively; and perform basic arithmetic accurately.
• Vision must be sufficient to read data reports, manuals, and computer screens.
• Hearing must be sufficient to understand a conversation at a normal volume, including
telephone calls and in person.
• Speech must be coherent to clearly convey or exchange information including the giving and
receiving of assignments and/or directions.
• Position involves mostly sitting, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.